Following the approval of the National Academy for Customs Sciences and Technology (formerly shortened to NACST ) by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (Sudan), the Academy is looking forward to excellence and pioneering in customs sciences to develop the economy, provide for the needs of the society, attracting qualified academicians, provision of excellent academic programs in fields of competency, advancing customs operations to have their share in the academic and research realms and to cope up with technological developments, international changes and world trade liberalization.
These come within the framework of trade facilitation as provided for by the World Trade Organization and World Customs Organization. The Academy strives, in addition, to upgrade students of customs sciences to respond to rapid changes within international standards by availing research, consultation and training services.
To build a pioneering academic institution in the field of customs and relevant sciences and to cater to scientific research needs.
To meet the needs of the society by disseminating customs culture, prepare highly qualified customs officers and economic operators according to requirements of the World Trade Organization and World Customs Organization.
- To prepare highly competent staff equipped with sufficient knowledge of customs sciences;
- To expand base of customs sciences graduates to provide business organizations with competent cadre that promote business environment through application of scientific methods in various business activities;
- To upgrade customs administration to respond to challenges and aspirations of the 21st century customs to facilitate trade according to international standards;
- To reduce cost of continuous training by recruiting competent entrants;
- To increase public revenues by recruiting competent cadre;
- To enhance feelings of social responsibility and moral dimensions;
- To protect the society from different crimes and threats and to safeguard borders;
How to Achieve Objectives:
* The Academy’s project had to keep up with major developments in the international economic environment in general and in the Sudan in particular, where economic activities expanded, economic blocks increased, and the impacts of globalization, trade liberalization and communication revolution are felt;
* To achieve academic outcomes and in order to meet the new economic situation, there is a need to take into consideration experiences of international universities that have benefited from international partnership in scientific research (PICARD) by setting customs procedures and systems in academic frame applying methods of scientific research on customs operations and delivered by the National Academy for Customs Sciences and Technology as an academic institution in line with courses made by the World Customs Organization in order to gain international status and standards.
* From the perspective of international academic cooperation, the Academy shall upgrade its students by benefitting from capacity development program (Columbus Customs Capacity Building Program) and attempt to join the International Network for Customs Universities (INCU) upon fulfilling academic competency requirements provided for.
* In order to ensure its relevance in terms of both academic standards and customs professional requirements, and to improve its effectiveness and capacity to engage in delivery of its services, the NACST has to join the INCU association to enjoy the following benefits:
– Exposure to a wide range network of professionals
– Regular updates (news, announcements, conferences and events information)
– Participation in conferences, workshops, discussion forums and other activities of INCU.
Founders of the Academy aimed to establish the first research academy on customs sciences for its various programs that awards graduates a bachelor degree (general) for three programs:
Customs Sciences Program
This Program is particularly well-suited to students who wish to study Customs Sciences aspects of modules of new trends in international trade, international and regional economic integration, which form a significant element of this course. In a four years program (Eight Semesters) student will be introduced to the fundamentals of customs sciences where the core modules include: Customs Modernization, Trade Facilitation, Customs Legislations, Customs Technologies, Customs Tariffs, Customs Procedures and Customs Valuation. In his final year, student will get the chance to write a dissertation (Graduation Project) in alignment with the career of his specialization area.
Economics and International Trade Program
This course is particularly well-suited to students who wish to study international trade and international aspects of international economics. Modules in International Economics form a significant element of this course. In a four years program (Eight Semesters) student will be introduced to the fundamentals of economics, where the core modules include: Introduction to Microeconomics; Introduction to Macroeconomics; Study Skills; plus either Quantitative Economics or Mathematical Economics and Introductory Econometrics. Also student will build on his knowledge through core modules such as: Microeconomic Theory, International Trade, Monetary Economics, Macroeconomic Theory, and Careers Skills building. In his final year, student will get the chance to write a dissertation (Graduation Project).
Information Technology Program
The economic and strategic importance provided by Computer Science and Information Technology is increasing daily. This importance is emphasized by the evolving needs of development and growth with respect to advances in these respective sciences. It is projected that Information Technology will play a leading role in both global and regional markets. This is mainly due to the exponential growth of information resulting from the current information age we live in. The bachelor degree in Information Technology offered by the National Academy of for Customs Sciences and Technology aims in the first place to prepare qualified professionals in the field of Information Technology to meet the economical and societal developmental needs of the Sudan.
The program contains a huge base of references that prepare and qualify the students. This is achieved by providing the necessary technical and practical skills needed. These skills are based on the highest standard of academic consideration.
In order to implement these programs, a plan was setup to realize these objectives.
- Adoption of the semester- based system and credit hours during four years covering eight semesters;
- The study plan shall include curriculum that accommodate international developments in all sciences with special emphasis on customs sciences;
- Expand the mental horizons of students by availing the greatest opportunity to study most of the prescribed courses to increase their knowledge that would allow them compete in the labor market
Therefore, the Academy expects that a student upon successful completion of the requirements for the general degree in Customs sciences and other programs at the Academy shall be able to:
- Show communication skills and efficiency in the business;
- Benefit from IT in making decisions in his work and tasks;
- Adopt a spirit of team work in realizing objectives of the organization and society;
- Work to achieve principle of social responsibility and moral dimensions in their professional track and making of wise administrative decisions;
- Adapt administrative tasks and functions according to global changes and trade liberalization
In conclusion, we wish the output of the Academy to be a real unique addition to serve local, regional and international community.